Every one of us has two kidneys located on either side of the spine below the ribcage. The main functions of kidneys are filtering blood and removing excess waste from the body, maintaining the electrolyte balance in the body and maintaining a healthy balance of water, salts, and other minerals in your blood.
Sometimes your kidneys might fail to function properly due to trauma or kidney diseases, or any other underlying condition that damages your kidneys. Millions of people around the world are suffering from kidney diseases, and it is the 12th leading cause of death worldwide. These kidney diseases are treated by Nephrologists.
A nephrologist is a doctor who specializes in treating conditions that affect your kidney. Nephrologists expertise in treating conditions that particularly affect your kidney and are very knowledgeable about how kidney disease or kidney failure affects other body parts. A doctor must have a diploma in Nephrology to become a Nephrologist.
Nephrology is a speciality of internal medicine that deals with the problems associated with kidneys and its functions. The Nephrology Department at Sia Life Hospital provides comprehensive treatment and care for patients suffering from acute and chronic kidney diseases. Our team of Nephrologists are highly qualified, trained and have hands-on experience in providing treatment for a wide range of renal diseases.
Our Nephrologists are expertise and experienced in diagnosing and treating various conditions that affect your kidney and urinary tract in people of any age and gender:
- Renal Failure (Kidney failure) both acute and chronic
- Addison’s Disease (adrenal insufficiency)
- Acquired kidney diseases(developing cysts)
- Kidney stones
- Kidney infections
- Kidney cancer
- PKD – Polycystic kidney disease
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome
- Electrolyte disorders
- Renal artery stenosis (narrowing of arteries that transport blood to kidneys)
- End-stage kidney disease
- Glomerulonephritis (inflammation of tiny blood vessels)
- Nephrotic syndrome (too much protein excretion in your urine)
- Urinary tract infections
- Blood in urine
- Protein in urine
They are also trained to analyze and treat conditions related to the growth and development of chronic kidney disease. Our neurologist has immense experience in managing various diseases caused by other health conditions, which include:
- High blood pressure
- Diabetes (Diabetic kidney disorder)
- Heart diseases
- Lupus(Autoimmune Disease)
- Certain medicines
Procedures Done By Nephrologist
A nephrologist can perform a wide variety of tests, procedures, and treatments. Our nephrologists at Sia Life Hospital are experts in diagnosing the problem and developing an efficient treatment plan to handle mild to life-threatening nephrology conditions. Nephrologists not only analyze the laboratory test results but also perform a wide range of procedures, including surgeries when required.
- Acute hemodialysis
- Sustained low-efficiency daily diafiltration(SLEDD)
- Peritoneal dialysis (CAPD)
- Plasmapheresis(exchange of blood plasma)
Interventional nephrology procedures
- Acute dialysis catheters(short-term vascular access for hemodialysis)
- Permacath insertions for dialysis
- Kidney biopsies
- Av Fistula creation for dialysis
- AV Graft Creation for Dialysis
- Peritoneal dialysis catheters
- Tunnelled dialysis catheters
- Fistulogram and arteriovenous fistula (AVF) procedures for thrombolysis
- ABO incompatibility
Kidney transplantation procedures
- Deceased donor kidney transplant
- Living donor kidney transplant
- Swap Kidney Transplant
The Nephrology department at SIA Life Hospital is a team of trained nurses, specialized dieticians, and highly skilled and experienced doctors. All are committed to providing adequate care for patients with various kidney diseases. They also work beside other specialized doctors like urologists, radiologists and other surgeons to manage different conditions.
Our nephrologists are highly skilled and update their knowledge with the latest technology and procedures. Our laboratories and the nephrology care unit is well equipped with advanced state-of-the-art technology for smooth diagnostic and surgical procedures.
If you have any problems related to kidneys, don’t worry we are here to help you. Contact us any time and we will treat your problem despite its severity.